The Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology at the University of Washington serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services, supporting patient care, research, and educational programs in laboratory medicine. We are proud to be associated with renowned medical centers like the University of Washington Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center, known for their excellence in trauma care and specialized services.
We are currently seeking a full-time Medical Laboratory Scientist 2 to join our MICROBIOLOGY division on the day shift. As an MLS2, you will have the authority to make independent decisions and provide guidance to Medical Laboratory Scientists and Trainees, as well as Clinical Laboratory Technicians. Your role will also involve assisting managers and leads in coordinating educational programs for staff and students while offering valuable feedback on employee performance.
Responsibilities as Medical Laboratory Scientist 2
- Use your expertise to troubleshoot and address issues related to patient testing, quality control, and equipment maintenance.
- Participate actively in continuing education activities to stay updated with the latest developments in your field.
- Assist in training employees, fellows, students, and trainees, providing timely evaluation feedback.
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of new procedures and processes, ensuring accuracy and relevance.
- Review and validate staff work to ensure accurate and clinically relevant reports.
- Collaborate with healthcare providers regarding critical or abnormal findings.
- Efficiently manage information management systems to input and verify test results.
- Report critical values, STAT results, and routine results according to established protocols, ensuring timely completion.
- Ensure compliance with quality control standards and perform preventative maintenance as needed.
- Provide leadership support as designated on a daily basis.
- Help manage workload, provide technical assistance, respond to inquiries and complaints, and ensure safety compliance.
- Assist with administrative tasks such as interviewing and selecting new employees, evaluating staff, and documenting competencies.
- Uphold certifications and stay current with guidelines set by professional organizations.
- Provide care and services tailored to patient needs based on various criteria.
- Contribute to creating an inclusive, equitable, and welcoming work environment.
Medical Laboratory Scientist 2: Requirements
- Hold an accredited Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science or have equivalent education/experience.
- Possess a current Medical Laboratory Science certification from the American Society of Clinical Pathologists or an equivalent certifying organization, with specialization appropriate to microbiology.
- Have at least two years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist 1 or equivalent.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs
At the University of Washington, we value diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming environment for all. We are an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer, providing fair consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability, or genetic information.
If you need disability accommodation during the application process, please contact the Disability Services Office for assistance at 2065436450 or [email protected]
As part of our hiring process, we may inquire about any substantiated findings or ongoing investigations related to sexual misconduct at your current and past employment. This disclosure is required by Washington state law.